From Dwayne Wright - www.dwaynewright.com
Scripts, for the most part, allow you to automate things you can do by hand. There are very view script steps that cannot be done via regular options found under the FileMaker menu system.
If if you can do a series of steps manually however, if you do it with a script, you know that it will be done the same way, in the same sequence, every time. A script will also perform the task faster, in particular when it comes to tasks that are very long, tedious and complicated.
Some examples would be...
- Entering date into a record the same way for occasional repetitive tasks
- Printing reports that consist of separate find and sorting operations
- Adding features to your solution that are security related such as which operations can be performed by users with a particular business role
- Logging or Auditing how your database is used
- Replacing data in a field wholesale via Relookup or Replace in a more controlled manner
- Performing a set of actions whenever a file is opened or closed
More info about the author and FileMaker in general, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2007 - Dwayne Wright - dwaynewright.com
The material on this document is offered AS IS. There is NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY, expressed or implied, nor does any other contributor to this document. WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT ABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. Consequential and incidental damages are expressly excluded. FileMaker Pro is the registered trademark of FileMaker Inc.